It is an exciting time, they have some teeth that have came in and we are teaching them at the same time “to chew”. There have been many children that have choked, suffocated and died because of the food that they were trying to eat. This includes, Food and Candy. Let’s review a few of the foods, how they get lodged in the throat, and what to do to save the child
First of all, children have a very small trachea (wind-pipe). Making it very easy for food that has not been chewed up properly to become lodged/stuck in the trachea, therefore the child will not be able to breath.
Teach the children to eat slow, take small bites, and never leave them unattended while they are eating. Avoid foods like apples, potato chips, hot dogs, and hard candy. A toddler will have a difficult time with these foods. In the event that any food gets lodged in the throat, immediately call 911 and they will prompt you on what to do. Never hit the child on the back, that is a huge misconception. This can cause the problem to become worse, it may be that the food is slightly lodged and if the child is hit in the back it can make it go down further in the trachea